Full Body, Dry (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc).
100-points Wine Enthusiast* and 92-points Antonio Galloni**
Outstanding flagship wine from organic Bolgheri estate (perfect with steak).
2009 was an "outstanding" year for Bolgheri, rated 91 of 100 (source: WineSpectator.com/vintagecharts. According to Wine-Searcher, the most recent global average price for this 2009 is USD $199 / SGD $265 (November 2020).
*"This, small, family-run estate in the heart of Bolgheri has delivered a wine so beautiful and elegant, it is catapulted to the level of landmark vintages of its celebrated neighbors, Sassicaia and Ornellaia. Inky concentration stes the stage for generous, but perfectly integrated, aromas of spice, chocolate, and dark fruit. There's firm roundness in the mouth, followed by unforgettable persistence. Hold this wine 15 years or more."
Monica Larner, Wine Enthusiast, January 2011
**"Attractive mocha, smoke, plum, graphite and tar notes meld together gracefully in the 2009 Guado de' Gemoli. This Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend captures the essence of Maremma warmth and resonance in its open, supple personality. Layers of dark red and black fruit build to an effortless, textured finish. The 2009 is beautifully expressive today and should drink well for another 5-10 years, although my preference would be to drink it sooner rather than later."
Antonio Galloni, vinous.com, August 2013
TASTING NOTES: Hints of ripe red fruits, vanilla, spices and later notes of liquorice, tobacco, cedar and cinnamon. A complex wine, with power and elegance; soft and long finish.
LOCATION & QUALITY: the boutique estate of Giovanni Chiappini (run with the help of his daughter Martina) is happily situated right next door to the famous estate of Ornellaia and benefits from the same fabulous climate, exposure, soil etc. This is a perfect example of the importance of sourcing great quality wines at a very fair price point, compared to others that arguably push up prices simply due to their branding. This is certainly a hidden gem of a wine!
DOC Bolgheri Superiore
- Grape variety: Cabernet Sauvignon 70%, Merlot 15%, Cabernet Franc 15%
- Vineyards: Le Grottine 1978, Felciaino 1986
- Soil composition: average texture with alluvial calcareous deposit
- Wine making: with natural raising agents in steel tank
- Maturation: at least 18 months in French oak barrels, 15% first use and the others second or third use
- Organoleptic features: impressive colour depth, perfect expression of the characteristics of the Bolgheri region. Elegance, power and complexity are the distinctive features of this wine, able to mature for many years and to refine its bouquet constantly over the years, passing from hints of ripe red fruits, vanilla and spices to extreme complexity with notes of liquorice, tobacco, cedar and cinnamon. Definite, soft and long finish.
Limited stock - maximum two bottles per customer.
* this product is not included on the "eligible for promotion/discount" list *
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.