Full Body, Dry (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc). DOC. Alc 14.5%.
Outstanding flagship wine from organic Bolgheri estate (perfect with steak).
94 pts Decanter ("The first vintage of this wine was 2000, but the vineyards of this Giovanni Chiappini label date back to 1978 (Le Grottine) and 1986 (Felciaino), and the average age of the vines was helpful in the hot 2017 vintage. This blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, with the rest divided between Merlot and Cabernet Franc, shows a restrained Bordeaux style with clove, leather, bramble fruits and a whiff of coffee powder. The palate is dominated by firm tannins and acidity, with warming alcohol. It maybe lacks a bit of suppleness, yet the finish is sweet and toasty" - blind tasted by Aldo Fiordelli, 26 Jun 2020). 98 pts Falstaff ("Clear, powerful ruby. Opens with intense notes of tobacco and liquorice, rich dark berry fruit. On the palate round and supple on notion and follow through, at the same time very good concentration, fine-meshed tannin, substance and long, fine fruit texture").
TASTING NOTES: Hints of ripe red fruits, vanilla, spices and later notes of liquorice, tobacco, cedar and cinnamon. A complex wine, with power and elegance; soft and long finish.
LOCATION & QUALITY: the boutique estate of Giovanni Chiappini (run with the help of his daughter Martina) is happily situated right next door to the more famous estate of Ornellaia and benefits from the same fabulous climate, exposure, soil etc. This is a perfect example of the importance of sourcing great quality wines at a very fair price point, compared to others that arguably push up prices simply due to their branding. This is certainly a hidden gem of a wine!
DOC Bolgheri Superiore
- Grape variety: Cabernet Sauvignon 70%, Merlot 15%, Cabernet Franc 15%
- Vineyards: Le Grottine 1978, Felciaino 1986
- Soil composition: average texture with alluvial calcareous deposit
- Wine making: with natural raising agents in steel tank
- Maturation: at least 18 months in French oak barrels, 15% first use and the others second or third use
- Organoleptic features: impressive colour depth, perfect expression of the characteristics of the Bolgheri region. Elegance, power and complexity are the distinctive features of this wine, able to mature for many years and to refine its bouquet constantly over the years, passing from hints of ripe red fruits, vanilla and spices to extreme complexity with notes of liquorice, tobacco, cedar and cinnamon. Definite, soft and long finish.
NB: Limited stock - maximum six bottles per customer (until larger stock available).
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.